The Power of Gratitude
What is Gratitude and why do thought leaders talk so much about having a Gratitude Practice?
I’ve learned over time in my life that gratitude can be an amazing strategy to use to reduce or eliminate stress, anxiety, depression, and even insomnia. But more importantly, it is an excellent practice to increase your overall happiness and fulfillment in life, so let’s have a brief discussion about the benefits of gratitude and ways to cultivate it in your life.
I think it is important to note that gratitude actually has a much deeper meaning than just being thankful for things you have. There are actually 2 parts to being truly grateful. First, there is the appreciate and recognition for things, benefits, or gifts we have received in our lives. Second, there is the acknowledgment of these things from something or someone outside of ourselves, and our willingness to give back and “express” our feelings of gratitude.
So, why is it so important that we adopt and live an attitude of Gratitude in our lives?
Well, it’s important to understand that gratitude is not just an emotion we experience or an attitude we adopt in our lives. Gratitude literally causes changes in our brain and can affect all areas of our life in a positive way. This is so important when you are trying to create an amazing life, or you are struggling to deal with stress, anxiety, or negative emotions in your life.
Scientists have shown in brain scans that specific areas of the brain are affected when individuals participate in acts or emotions of gratitude. The chemical reactions that occur can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, and it can also cause an increased sensitivity to future experiences of gratitude. This shows that the more you practice and experience gratitude the more you will benefit from its positive effects on your life.
Here are 7 Key Benefits you can gain from the Power of Gratitude:
- Abundance & Attraction– I have always said that what you focus on grows. When you practice gratitude, you will attract more positive emotions, energy, and experiences into your life. This will also lead to more motivation and drive to help you accomplish your goals.
- Attitude & Mindset– One of the most important resources an entrepreneur can have in business is a positive attitude. But an attitude of gratitude can also help to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression which will ultimately help you deal with more difficult situations and problems that can arise in your day to day life.
- Perspective & Filter– Having a positive attitude is critical but gratitude can also help you to change your perspective when you are identifying and overcoming day to day challenges. Dr Wayne Dyer has been quoted as saying, “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” I truly believe this, and I can tell you from experience that when you have a gratitude practice you will see situations in life in a different light. You are more patient, understanding and more capable of creating solutions. This will lead you to much more success in business and relationships.
- Happiness & Health– The positive affects your health, happiness, and immune system are also a proven fact of having more gratitude in your life. Scientific studies have shown that individuals practicing gratitude have stronger immune systems, get better quality sleep, and are happier overall with their life. I believe happiness comes from wanting what you have rather than having what you want, and this is much easier when practicing gratitude regularly.
- Inspiration & Influence– More and more thought leaders are acknowledging that you will create a better quality life when you have impact on others and feel you are making a difference in the world. Practicing gratitude, and serving others is an excellent way to inspire and influence others. It is also a great way to help take the focus off of yourself and your current obstacles in life if you are struggling to deal with various problems and life challenges.
- Leadership Development– By serving others and creating impact, you will also be able to develop as a leader. True leadership comes from setting an example of what you want others to emulate around you. If you truly want to surround yourself with positive, happy people, then the best way to do this is to practice and express gratitude to the people in your life.
- Strong Relationships– The quality of your relationships can be significantly impacted by gratitude. Most relationships struggle when negative emotions are involved like envy, jealousy, cynicism, or even anger. Gratitude has been shown to create and attract positive emotions and will also shift the average individual into a positive state more often. This results in more expressions of love, compassion, positivity, and encouragement…all of which lead to stronger key relationships.
These are just a few of the many benefits that you can experience by adopting and practicing more gratitude. Remember, there are mental, emotional, and even physical benefits that will impact your life if you choose to focus on this powerful emotion. So, let me give you just a few ideas and strategies for how you can Cultivate more Gratitude in your life today.
Try some or all of these Practices, and then add a few to your daily rituals and routine…
- Engage in acts of service.
- Write thank you notes.
- Keep a gratitude journal.
- Focus on key relationships.
- Express appreciation to others often.
Try to identify a time in your day that you can identify the things that you are grateful for on a daily basis. Then, find ways to express or practice your gratitude for the most impact in your life. I hope this topic has been able to inspire you and will help you to continue to create your best life.
After all…It’s Never too Late to Start Living the Life You Were Meant to Live.
George Wright III